Tuesday, July 2, 2019

7 Steps to Thrift Shopping

Thrifting is addictive! Some people get weirded out at the thought of wearing thrift store finds. But what's the difference between this and trying on an item a stranger has worn at a non-thrift store? I'll wait... Plus, it's environment-friendly. Sustainability, but make it fashion!

I bought this Pant Suit for $7 at Value Village Thrift Store
I started thrift shopping back in 2011 when I lived and worked in Atlanta and I've been hooked ever since. Buckhead had the best thrift stores and I couldn't get enough. Today, I'm sharing some insider thrifting secrets I've learned along the way:


Step 1: Scout thrift stores located in high income neighborhoods aka where all the ballers live. One rich person's donation is another person's treasure.

Step 2: Set a budget. After all, it's thrifting, so why break the bank? I say a budget of $50 or less is pretty reasonable. In fact, $50 is too much, but I'm feeling generous today, so $50 (or less) it is.

Step 3: Find out if the thrift store offers coupons for donations. For instance, when you donate used items to Value Village, you get a 20% off coupon for use towards store purchases. As in, discount on top of discount - it doesn't get any better than that!


Step 4: Get ready to spend at least an hour. Take your time and explore racks on racks on racks. Don't go by sizing at all. Just go through the racks. After all, 'the patient dog gets the fattest bone'. I'm just saying...LOL!

Step 5: When picking items, think style and durability. I go for items made out of high-quality fabric, statement pieces, vibrant prints, bright colours, African prints, etc. It has to be out of the ordinary. I mean, check out my Instagram content and see exactly what I'm into. Essentially, pieces I know I can't find in regular stores. They don't call me Ynx the Print Slayer for nothing. LOL!
Photography by Fiz Co @fiz_co
Step 6: Try on your items before you leave the store. Wear them on on top of your clothes. I don't recommend wearing used clothes without washing first. So if you don't want to break out in hives aka craw craw, wear on top of your own clothes. Also find out if the thrift store offers returns or exchanges for purchased items. You definitely want to take advantage of that.

Step 7: Wash purchased items according to the washing instructions on the label. You may need to take items to the dry cleaner. For thrift finds that are machine or hand washable, add white vinegar to your wash cycle. Allow to air dry instead of using a dryer; because, you know, artificial heat plus what's the rush?

Now that I've revealed all my thrifting secrets, you officially have my blessing. Go forth and thrift in peace. But before you go, don't forget to leave a comment below. I always love reading your feedback. And if you're a fellow thrifter, do share some useful tips below.
Giving you my blessings...LOL
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Great piece....shhh, I think I'm going thrift shopping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm still waiting on you. Ready when you are, ajebutter! :)

      Delete
  2. I am one of those people who are scared of thrift shopping, but you may have given me a change of heart. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready when you are. It's addictive, be forewarned! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Love thrift shopping! These are great tips. I often find clothes with price tags still on them. I usually go into a thrift store when they have a sale. Yeah I know! A sale at a thrift store. Even more discount!! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ayeee! I love a sale on top on a sale on top of another! It's smart. Why pay more, when you can pay less. :)

      Delete
  4. Love me some vintage shopping! We have to take a trip when I come to toronooo

    ReplyDelete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig